What does it mean to be mindful in your marriage or relationship? In essence, it means to see things as they actually are – and not as we wish they were or imagine them to be. The nature of everything is change: when we are attached to our partner behaving a certain way, then the ability to love that person becomes frozen. Craig Lambert, LCSW helps couples understand it’s through mindfulness, and the qualities of kindness – such as being nonjudgmental and listening – that we release the grasping and attachment that our partner be or act a certain way.
Every relationship, when you add intentionality and mindfulness, has the potential to be a transformative journey towards wholeness. We are actually here to heal each other and help each other grow. Bringing mindfulness into your marriage or relationship offers the kind of intimacy and connection that we all want. Mindfulness is the key to many life improvements including physical and mental health, productivity, clarity and relationships, and mindfulness training teaches strategies for couples to use at home to actively connect positively on a regular basis.
The Mindful Marriage: How Mindfulness Training Intentionally Creates Opportunities for Positive Interaction:
- It helps each partner begin to explore the unconscious motivations behind their own actions and words. Once these are brought into consciousness, the individual can come up with strategies for growth and healing.
- Mindfulness meditation specifically has proven to create happier, more centered and less stressed individuals. The relationship becomes stronger when each partner becomes more self- aware and confident.
- A Mindful Marriage, more than anything else, offers the opportunity for reclaiming the innate joyfulness and aliveness we hopefully experienced as children.
- By striving for individual and relationship wholeness, we are best able to interact with and even help heal the world outside.
- People need to enhance their sense of awareness and presence. Listen, tune in. Sometimes when people turn away, it can be because they lack awareness.
Mindfulness training enables people to become more aware of the other person’s needs and what it takes to bring out what is best in their partner. Remember: every relationship is a cross-cultural experience. There are two valid perceptions and realities which make a difference. Nearly every aspect of life (cars, gardens, careers, kids) needs regular maintenance to thrive. Mindfulness training for couples provides the most practical, powerful tactics for tending to your relationship.